Thursday, May 13, 2010

{had my 1hr glucose test today...}

...and it wasn't bad at all! The one-hour glucose tolerance test, which screens for gestational diabetes, is given to all women at around the 28-week mark of their pregnancy. Due to my nasty colitis flare-up a couple weeks ago, I took mine today- at 31 weeks. 

Most women go on and on about how terrible the glucose test is, so I'll admit that I dreaded taking it. I planned on going last week, but I put it off. How do you decide which day you want to torture yourself with a nasty medical procedure? Little did I know that my worrying was completely unnecessary! 

 {image via cafemama}

Thankfully, my amazing OB, Dr. Biter, recommended that I take a "breakfast glucose test."  Instead of the typical fasting and nasty, sugary, gasless orange soda-drinking one drinks before the blood draw, I was allowed to eat two eggs, two pieces of toast with butter, an 8oz. glass of milk, and an 8 oz. glass of OJ. Then, an hour later, I had blood drawn by Marisol, who I am convince is an angel. She is the first phlebotomist to get a vein in my arm on the first poke in at least a dozen blood draws. I heart her, and I will go back to her with every lab slip I am given from this day forward. I was at the lab for less than 30 minutes, there was no nasty orange drink, and I only have one teeny band-aid on my arm. It's the little things... :P 

The glucose tolerance results take 2-3 days, which means I'll have to wait until at last Monday or Tuesday to find out whether or not I passed. I'm super hopeful that I did, especially considering that I'm pretty dang sure there isn't a "3-hour breakfast test!" Fingers crossed. :o)



1 comment:

  1. You're so lucky! I hope my test goes as smoothly as yours does. Hope you pass with flying colors!

    ReplyDelete